The little-known Portuguese Chapel, also known as St Francis Xavier Chapel, is located on the seafront about 100 metres from the waterline at Shella area on Mama Ngina Road in Old Town, Malindi. This 16th century chapel in Malindi was built before St. Francis Xavier visited the area in 1542. The priest buried one of his sailors who died on his ship within the chapel compound. Over the years, however, the chapel grounds have turned into a graveyard of Portuguese tombstones where prominent personalities in the town have also been buried. These include Malindi’s pioneer Commander Lawford, of the popular Lawford Hotel and J. Bell Smith, the first British administrator in Malindi.