Nairobi Arboretum is an oasis set in the heart of the capital, adjacent to the State House. It consists of 30 hectares of wooded landscape filled with a large collection of trees and shrubs. It is bounded by the Kirichwa Kubwa River, Arboretum Drive, and Kenya Girl Guide Headquarters. A The Arboretum is one of Nairobi's few remaining green spaces with shaded walkways, picnic lawns, and jogging trails. The Arboretum was established in 1907 by Mr. Batiscombe, then Deputy Conservator of Forests, to try out introduced forestry trees for Kenya. It was gazetted as a national reserve in 1932 and in 1996 a title deed issued by the Commissioner of land designating it as a public owned reserve. over 350 species of indigenous and exotic plants, most of which are labeled, home to over 100 species of birds, and a significant population of Sykes and Vervet monkeys.