Lamu Fort is a squat castle or fortress that was built by the Sultan of Paté between 1813 and 1821.providing a base from which the Omanis consolidated their control of the East African coast but the town later lost its economic importance.
Originally situated on the waterfront, the fort today is located in a central position in the town, about 70 meters from the main jetty on the shore. During the British colonial period, and after the independence of Kenya, the fort was used as a prison.
Today it houses an environmental museum and library, which holds one of the best collections of Swahili poetry and Lamu reference work in Kenya, while the upstairs walkway is a gallery space for temporary exhibitions. Entry is free with a ticket for Lamu Museum.