About Machakos County
Located about 65km from Nairobi City, Machakos County covers an area of 5,952.9km2 with a population of more 1.3million residents. Machakos town is the county’s capital headquarters a town that is alive with the spirit of urban redevelopment & intriguing people.
As the story goes, Machakos was first established in 1887, as the first administrative center for the British Colony, technically becoming Kenya’s capital before Nairobi was born 10 years later. The town and the county are named after Kamba’s most famous chief, Masaku. With a wealth of creative traditions and cultural industries, the county is the origin of the famous Akamba woodcarving and the basketry skills. This beautiful handcrafts and well-decorated artifacts are found in posh art galleries and gift shops both locally and abroad.
Machakos borders Nairobi and Kiambu counties to the West, Embu to the North, Kitui to the East, and Makueni to the South, Kajiado to the South West and Murang’a and Kirinyaga to the North West. The climate of Machakos is moderately favorable for most of the year and relatively similar to that of Nairobi. Rainfall is moderate throughout the county with less than 600mm of rainfall recorded in a year, except in the higher areas like Iveti Forest and Machakos Hill where rainfall is higher.
- Machakos originates from the legendary warrior & chief, Masaku who arrived in the area in 1816 from the area around Sultan Hamud. The tale about the arrival of the “long snake” (railway) and the Europeans have actually prophesied this Man.
- Machakos is the hub for the world famous wood carvers who have set camp in Wamunyu in Machakos County. Syondo traditional baskets and other unique traditional crafts trace their home to Machakos.
- T-Tot hotel in Machakos hotel is believed to have the best samosas and mandazi, therefore, becoming an ideal stopover for transit travelers. This hotel also offers accommodation with about 56 tastefully furnished rooms with plenty of natural light, good aesthetics, and quality materials to guarantee unrivaled serenity.
- Konza City, Kenya’s first world-class technology city is currently being developed in Machakos County. The city will a sustainable, world-class technology hub and a major economic driver for the nation, with a vibrant mix of businesses, workers, residents, and urban amenities.
- Located 12 kilometers East of Machakos town, is the famous Kituluni Antigravity Hill. Watch just about anything roll-up this peculiar anti-gravity hill. The one-kilometer hill has a unique distinction of being one of the places in the world where water flows uphill unaided.
Facts & Figures
Area: 5,952.9 km²
Altitude: 3734 ft.
Population: Over 1.099 Million (2009)
County Governor: Alfred Mutua
Capital Town: Machakos town
Languages spoke: Kamba dialect, Kiswahili & English
Internet Access: +5.0 Mbps.
Electricity: 220/240 Volts AC, 50Hz
Best time to visit: All year long
NB: Please note that these prices keep changing so you can only use this as a sample guide to estimate a budget.
|Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant||Ksh. 225.00||70.00-450.00|
|Budget Hotels (Accommodation)||Ksh. 1000||1200 – 5000|
|Five star Hotels ( Accommodation)||Ksh. 8,000||7,000- 30,000|
|Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle)||Ksh. 250.00||135.00-300.00|
|Coffee/Tea (regular)||Ksh. 70.00||50.00-270.00|
|Coke/Pepsi (0.33 liter bottle)||Ksh. 45.00||30.00-50.00|
|Water (0.33 liter bottle)||Ksh. 30.00||20.00-45.00|
|Milk (regular), (1 liter)||Ksh. 77.50||45.00-100.00|
|Loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g)||Ksh. 50.00||50.00-50.00|
|Rice (white), (1kg)||Ksh. 117.50||60.00-150.00|
|Eggs (regular) (12)||Ksh. 124.00||120.00-132.00|
|Local Cheese (1kg)||Ksh. 500.00||300.00-580.00|
|Chicken Breasts (Boneless, Skinless), (1kg)||Ksh. 616.67||350.00-800.00|
|Beef Round (1kg) (or Equivalent Back Leg Red Meat)||Ksh. 425.00||400.00-450.00|
|Apples (1kg)||Ksh. 160.00||120.00-399.00|
|Banana (1kg)||Ksh. 100.00||100.00-140.00|
|Oranges (1kg)||Ksh. 100.00||100.00-200.00|
|Tomato (1kg)||Ksh. 93.11||50.00-120.00|
|Potato (1kg)||Ksh. 96.69||40.00-140.00|
|Onion (1kg)||Ksh. 100.00||100.00-150.00|
|Lettuce (1 head)||Ksh. 50.00||20.00-100.00|
|Water (1.5-liter bottle)||Ksh. 70.00||50.00-80.00|
|Bottle of Wine (Mid-Range)||Ksh. 700.00||500.00-750.00|
|Domestic Beer (0.5-liter bottle)||Ksh. 175.00||125.00-200.00|
|Imported Beer (0.33-liter bottle)||Ksh. 234.00||135.00-250.00|
|Pack of Cigarettes (Marlboro)||Ksh. 190.00||150.00-200.00|
|One-way Ticket (Local Transport)||Ksh. 30.00|
|One-way Ticket (Local Transport- Nairobi)||Ksh. 150||100.00-300.00|
|Car Rental Prices in Machakos||Ksh. 2500||2000 – 8,000|
|Taxi 1km (Normal Tariff)||Ksh.70.00||50.00-200.00|
|Matatu (every 20km)||Ksh. 50.00||50.00-150.00|
|Basic (Electricity, Heating, Cooling, Water, Garbage) for 85m2 Apartment||Ksh. 5,797.68||1,000.00-8,384.09|
|1 min. of Prepaid Mobile Tariff Local (No Discounts or Plans)||Ksh. 3.00||3.00-3.00|
|Internet (60 Mbps or More, Unlimited Data, Cable/ADSL)||Ksh. 4,725.00||700.00-5,000.00|